Wednesday, July 9, 2014

[REVIEW] Maybelline - The Nudes E/S Palette

Hi Beauties! Hope you're having a good hump day today!! I'm really excited to write this review because it's featuring a product that I was extremely excited for. Maybelline was one of the first drug store companies to come out with a palette that could give high-end brands a run for their money when it comes to the nude palette. I'm not saying they're the first to come out with a palette, I'm saying they came out with a palette where the individual e/s size and the amount of e/s would make way for a more affordable e/s palette.



Anyhow let's get into the actual review! :]

Breakdown:
Packaging: I appreciate how thin the packaging is of this palette. A lot of the high-end packaging can be kind of bulky and not travel-friendly. I took this palette on my recent trip and it fit perfectly in my makeup bag without taking up too much room. The one thing that throws me off is that the slot where the sponge tip applicator sits seems excessively long; in other words, it looks like they wanted to include a mini brush or maybe two sponge tip applicators but couldn't.




Pigmentation: Okay, this is where my main gripe with this product comes in. I've tried all the eyeshadows in this palette and I have to say out of the 12 e/s, I have issues with 4 of the e/s. The main problem is that they apply extremely patchy, even if I apply it with my ring finger I end up having to apply about 3-4 coats to get a decent color pay off. The colors with a heat on them are the colors that I end up having issues with. The top left color (with the heart) is one that give me the most problems because it swatches chalky and when I apply it, I get nothing. I use a small dense concealer brush and it's difficult to get any pay off, and even when it's on, I barely notice anything.



The matte black isn't the darkest black you'll ever use, in fact it's pretty light and doesn't go on too pigmented, but when I use it with the other colors in it's designated quad, it actually works really well. It gives a hazy smokey eye, but nothing too intense; you get a soft smokey eye type of a look with the last quad.

Color Choices/Finish/Arrangement: One of the things that I like about this palette is how the arranged the colors together. Like I stated in my first impression, there's a guide on the back that shows you how to use the e/s as duos, trios, and quads; this makes it extremely user friendly and is great for those who are just beginning with makeup. The colors work well with each other and you don't have to use it the way the instructions tell you to. There are great taupe-gray colors that are great for blending out colors on the lid, or you can just pop it in your crease to create more definition and finish it off with eyeliner and mascara for a really natural, easy look.

Majority of the e/s have a matte or suede-type of finish to them; the only exception is the 3 colors in the middle quad and the the bottom second color. Personally, I like the fact that there aren't too many shimmery/glittery shades because it makes it more appropriate for everyday use (especially if you work or go to school in a very conservative environment).
One thing that I immediately noticed is that some of the colors looked extremely similar to each other; the only thing that's different is the finish. I wish they would've considered putting in different colors instead of similar colors with different finishes; the different finishes I'm talking about is matte and suede.

Size/Price: I was able to purchase my palette from Target. It retailed for $9.99 and I had a $1.00 off coupon, so I ended up paying $8.99 (plus tax). This is definitely affordable and you get a good amount of e/s for the price. Each of the pans are a little smaller than Maybelline's original trio and quad pans; the reason I put 'original' is because they switched up the packaging and the pans are no longer the same size as each other.



Overall:
I like the concept, size, quantity of e/s, affordability, and the usability of the e/s; however I was wanting more pigmentation from the shadows. I'm not extremely tan nor am I extremely fair and I had difficulties having some shadows actually show up, I really have to build up the color and apply a few layers. Even though I have difficulties with building up colors, that doesn't mean you can't get them to show up. You can definitely use different colored bases, Maybelline came out with some neutral colors for their 24 Hour Tattoos, to help the colors and you don't have to worry about blending because majority of the colors blend easily (the only one that gives me a difficult time is the matte black).

I really wanted to fall in love with this palette, but unfortunately I can't. The fact that some of the colors are very similar to each other and I have to really work to get some of the colors to show up really bring this palette down. However, I do find myself reaching for it because I use the two colors on the upper right as my brow color and it's just so easy to use and the colors really compliment my skin tone and eyes.

Have you tried out this palette? What do you think about it?? Let me know on Twitter @ciaociaoreview OR leave me a comment down below! I'd love to know what you Beauties think!

Until my next post,

Stay Beautiful <3

No comments:

Post a Comment