Friday, July 11, 2014

[REVIEW] NYC - Water Colors Trio Palette

Happy Friday Beauties! Hope you are all had a great week; if not, it's Friday, so you can relax! Today's review is on another fun colored e/s trio that is extremely affordable. I've started to play a lot more with color and I'm currently in a blue phase so I decided to try this trio since it had a pretty sky blue in it. Let's jump into the review before I start to ramble on any longer.





Breakdown:
Packaging: Like most drug store trios and quads, the packaging is pretty slim and compact. It doesn't take up much room and is pretty sturdy. The plastic doesn't feel flimsy and seems to be able to withstand normal wear and tear. There's a weird plastic packaging that goes above the e/s and on that plastic layer it has instructions on where each color goes.



Colors/Finishes: The first color on top is a shimmery/frosty white, but you can't really tell that there's shimmer once it's applied. The middle color is a sky blue with silver shimmers in it, like the first color, you can't really tell that there's shimmer when it's applied, but there is some shimmer fall out when you apply it. The last color is a deeper peach color with golden shimmer; by far this color seems to show the most shimmer, but it's not too intense.

Pigmentation: Out of the three e/s the least pigmented is the sky blue (which is the lid color). This color did show up on my skin with a base, but unfortunately it didn't really show up as a blue and it made my lids look dirty. In order for it to show up as a blue I had to put a blue base underneath (I used NYX's eyeliner pencil in Sky Blue) and even with that base I had to continue to pack on color. The frosty white color first applied extremely chalky but opaque (odd combination, I know lol), but it blended out fine without any issues. If you use this color, just remember you don't need too much especially if you use it as a highlight with a dense brush. My favorite has to be the deeper peach color because it shows up close to what you see in the pan; one thing that I did notice is that it blends into my skin tone so if I do really want to emphasize this color I need 2-3 layers of it.

Longevity: You definitely need to use some kind of base in order to make these e/s last and to show up. If you really want to make the colors really pop and stand out, you're going to want to put some sort of colored base underneath. If you use an eyeliner as a base you'll definitely get a longer wear time, but you'll still want to layer the colors on.

The Look: These colors work well together, but I feel like it's a typical "summery" palette. You have the sky blue and deep peach colors which can be found in the palettes that come out during the Spring and Summer, so it's not that original. I only wish that the frosty white was more of a matter cream color because the crease and lid have shimmery colors. However, I love how this peach is deeper than other palettes because it gives more warmth to the overall look.




Overall:
This is definitely one of the better $1 palettes I've tried, especially one that has some type of color (I picked mine up from The Dollar Tree). I can definitely work with the colors in this palette and use them in conjunction with other e/s. Unfortunately, this isn't something that I would use everyday because it does take time to actually create the look since there needs to be a lot of blending out since I use a colored base.

Since the colors aren't too in your face, you can definitely get away with rocking this look almost anywhere. I wouldn't suggest using this if you work in a conservative environment because you're still using a blue e/s on your lids. This is a fun palette if you're looking for an easy beach look (as long as you're not going in the water) or a fun picnic or BBQ look. I wouldn't consider this a good introductory palette to colors unless your comfortable with using colored bases or have colored bases because you really need to pack and blend out the colors to get as much umph out of them as possible.

I think the name of the palette definitely fits the color pay off you get. When I think of water colors I think of very pastel, light, sheer types of colors; this is basically what you get when you use this palette. The colors are pretty sheer and the sky blue is a pastel type of color. Based on the name, I think it matches very well.

Have you tried any other NYC palettes? This is my first NYC palette and I'm definitely interested in trying out more since they're pretty affordable. Let me know down below or on Twitter (@ciaociaoreview) what NYC palettes I should check out!

Until my next post,

Stay Beautiful <3

No comments:

Post a Comment